Choosing the best house reef in the Maldives might prove to be tough. However, the affordable options are pretty scarce, so let’s see why Biyadhoo is the island you’ll fall in love with in the Maldives!
What is a house reef?
The Maldives are a dream for snorkeling and diving – they have over 2500 coral reefs! About a quarter of these can be classified as “house reefs”, which means that they are really easily accessible from the beach of an island. However, not all of these house reefs are as beautiful, and very few of the good ones are affordable.
Best House Reefs in the Maldives
If you’re looking for a tropical paradise, look no further than the Maldives. This stunning archipelago of islands is home to some of the most beautiful coral reefs in the world. The islands are home to a wide variety of coral reefs, ranging from shallow lagoons to deep sea reefs – it can be quite overwhelming to choose the best house reef in the Maldives.. The shallow lagoons are perfect for snorkeling and diving, and are home to a variety of colorful fish and other marine life. The deeper reefs are home to larger fish, such as sharks and manta rays, and are a great spot for experienced divers. The coral reefs of the Maldives are some of the most diverse in the world, with over 200 species of coral and over 1,000 species of fish. The reefs are also home to a variety of other marine life, such as sea turtles, dolphins, and whales. The Maldives is a great destination for anyone looking to explore the beauty of the underwater world. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced diver, the Maldives has something for everyone. With its stunning coral reefs and abundance of marine life, the Maldives is a must–visit destination for any traveler.
Why should you choose Biyadhoo as one of the best house reefs in the Maldives?
- Biyadhoo (pronounced bi-ya-doo) an island resort – this means that alcohol is allowed on the island, as well as bikini. These are not allowed on public islands, actually! Check out the top tips before visiting the Maldives to find out more.
- It has great cocktails – honestly, I couldn’t get enough 😁
- It’s affordable – for as little as $200 per night, it’s absolutely worth visiting, at least for a few nights, so you can experience this best affordable house reef in the Maldives.
- No major strong currents – there are a few reefs in the Maldives where the currents can get so strong, you’ll struggle going back to land. However, Biyadhoo’s great affordable house reef is free of those, so you can fully enjoy the spectacular underwater world.
- No water villas – it’s true, there is nothing more amazing than waking up and jumping into the water next to your water villa. However, these resorts are usually extremely expensive, but Biyadhoo has indeed the best affordable house reef in the Maldives.
- No supermarkets on the island – you should really opt in for at least half board (or all-inclusive), as you won’t really have many options to eat
- Time zone – Biyadhoo is 1 hour behind from Maafushi, Male and neighbouring islands (and it’s only 5 minutes by speedboat from the first one). Apparently, each island is free to set their own time zone. So make sure to set your clock right for activities!
Map of Biyadhoo’s house reef in the Maldives
The most impressive thing about the island, however, is its house reef:
As you can see, there are so many types of marine life that can be seen just at the house reef! I snorkeled in Biyadhoo 4 times in the 10 days I was in the Maldives, it was just too beautiful to resist coming back. When snorkeling or diving there, make sure to follow the passages, as the reef can get pretty shallow at times and you will struggle getting back to the island. There is no major strong current around the island, so it is heaven for snorkelers.
You can see baby black tip sharks right next to shore:
Renting snorkeling gear
If you don’t opt-in for an all-inclusive package, you’ll have to rent your snorkeling gear for $ 6 a day. Or you can always be prepared and bring your own! There is a diving center on the island, so if you feel like it, you could explore Biyadhoo’s deeper waters. Here is what awaits you:
Biyadhoo – the Island
The island itself is pure heaven:
The hotel rates start at around $ 200 per night – not bad at all for the best house reef in the Maldives, right? However, you can always take a day trip from one of the neighboring islands. With lunch included, the day trip would cost about $ 50 per person. Biyadhoo can give you the true experience of the Maldvies, especially if you want to enjoy the beauty of marine life. Just remember not to step on the corals and use marine-friendly sunscreen!